Manuel Neuer. Germany national football team
Club: Bayern Munich
Date of Birth: March 27, 1986 (28 years)
Height: 193 cm
Weight: 92 kg
Marital status: In a relationship with model Kathrin Gilch
Manuel Neuer is a German player of the football club Bayern Munich and the German national team.
Bayern Munich: Bundesliga champion (2012/13, 2013/14); winner of the German Cup (2012/13, 2013/14) and the Super Cup (2012); winner of the UEFA Champions League (2012/13); UEFA Super Cup (2013); winner of the Club World Cup (2013).
Germany national football team: bronze medalist of 2010 World Cup, bronze medalist of UEFA Euro 2012.
1. Manuel was born in Gelsenkirchen. His family moved to this German city after his father's promotion as a police officer.
2. Parents say their son has dreamed about football since infancy. From five, Manuel began studying at the academy of the football club Schalke 04.
3. He transferred part of the funds from his first professional contract for charity purposes.
4. In spring 2011, Neuer said he would not renew the contract with Schalke 04. The club's management tried to keep the footballer by any means offering to double his wages. But the goalkeeper was determined to leave. When in May Schalke 04 players met with fans a man came to Neuer and slapped him in the face calling the goalie a traitor. Several years have passed, but is still jeered at the home stadium.
5. However, relations with Bayern fans have been far from perfect. They threw bananas at Neuer, devoted obscene limericks to him and met with posters of unflattering content. Fans of the club have made a code of conduct for Neuer. According to the code, he was forbidden to approach the southern sector of Allianz Arena (FC Bayern home stadium), throw ammunition there and kiss the club logo.
6. Since 2009, Manuel has been dating model Kathrin Gilch. They met at one of the matches of the German national team. The girl never misses a match involving her loved one. When it became known that Manuel joins Bayern, Kathrin did not hesitate to go with him. German journalists suggest that the couple will register their relations after the World Cup in Brazil.
7. In 2012, Neuer took part in the German equivalent of the intellectual game "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" and won 500,000 euros. The money went to help the needy. He could not answer the last question: "Which of the following was invented by Nuremberg resident Martin Boeheim?" with the answers "compass", "slide rule", "globe" and "compass" (the correct answer is "globe"). Manuel decided to take the money. Neuer admitted after the program that he could not risk the money for the needy.
8. Manuel has set up a foundation to help children from disadvantaged families. An orphanage is going to be built in his hometown of Gelsenkirchen.
9. "If you have at least a small chance to help - do it!" This is Neuer's basic rule of life. The footballer learned it as a child. Many Neuer's peers could not take up football as their parents struggled to make ends meet. For several years, Neuer, together with his best friend, basketball player Dirk Nowitzki, has been organizing friendlies involving stars. Proceeds always go to charity.
10. Manuel loves to travel. In his free time he plays tennis and skis. The footballer's favorite dish is pancakes with salmon.
Manuel Neuer says:
1. When I was 4 years old, my mother drove me to the first training session. But we got lost on the way, and by the time we arrived there had been only one free position. And certainly it was the position of the goalkeeper.
2. I was called by several European clubs, including Manchester United, but I have always wanted to stay in Germany and continue to play in the Bundesliga. I never thought about playing abroad. My transfer to Bayern was smooth because I knew many players from the national team. From the first day, I have been happy in the team. I made the right choice.
About the match against Brazil at the 2014 World Cup (Germany won 7-1):
3. We were of course a bit nervous before the match, as well as before other important meetings. You can make as many predictions as possible about the game but it is impossible to predict the course of events on the football field.
About the German national team at the 2014 World Cup:
4. Expectations of our team as always high. They are getting higher every year, and we are ready to live up to these expectations.
5. Kathrin is my great love. It's great when your girl is "firmly on the ground" - she knows what she wants from life.
On participation in the German equivalent of the game "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" and the choice to take the money:
6. I thought for a few seconds, I had no more lifelines and I had never heard of such a person. Too much was at stake and note that this money were for children. Surprisingly, when I was in the locker room the next day after the broadcast, many teammates made fun of me and called the ball a globe throughout the exercise.
7. Everyone should have equal opportunities in life. We are working in this direction.
About assistance to children in need:
8. From time to time, I visit the children in person. That's fine to see smiles on their faces.
Manuel Neuer with Kathrin Gilch Manuel Neuer with Kathrin Gilch Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer in advertizing Manuel Neuer in advertizing Manuel Neuer with Kathrin Gilch Manuel Neuer visits construction site of an orphanage Manuel Neuer Manuel Neuer in advertizing